How To Keep Peeled Sweet Potatoes
If you love sweet potatoes, then you know the pain of having to peel them every time you want to eat them. Peeling sweet potatoes is a tedious task, and there’s no one way to do it that’s guaranteed to work every time.
Luckily, there are several ways to keep peeled sweet potatoes fresh so you can get the most out of your meal. In this article, we will explore five methods you can use to keep peeled sweet potatoes fresh.
How to Use Peeled Sweet Potatoes
Peeled sweet potatoes can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. To prepare peeled sweet potatoes, first cut them into small pieces and place them in a pot of boiling water.
Cook until they are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes and place them in an ice bath to cool. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes.
How to Peel Sweet Potatoes
Peeling sweet potatoes can be a bit of a hassle, but it’s definitely worth it to keep them fresh. Here are four easy tips for peelingsweet potatoes:
1. Start by cutting off the ends of the sweet potato and then peel down the skin.
2. Cut the sweet potato in half so that it will fit in your food processor.
3. Turn on the food processor and add the sweet potatoes, pressing them down with a wooden spoon or your hands if necessary.
4. Process until the sweet potatoes are finely chopped and uniform in size.
Prepping Your Sweet Potatoes
Prepping Your Sweet Potatoes:
1. Remove the skin from your sweet potatoes. If there are any brown spots or patches on the skin, scrub them off before peeling.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
3. Place the sweet potato cubes in a large bowl filled with cold water. Swish them around to loosen any dirt and debris.
4. Drain the sweet potatoes and place them in a separate bowl. Use a hand dryer to cool off the sweet potatoes until they are barely warm, about 30 seconds. This will help avoid browning on their skin while they dehydrate.
5. Spread out a single layer of cleaned sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat silicone baking mats, making sure that they are not crowded together and that there is space between them for air circulation (this will help preserve their color). Dehydrate at 100 degrees F until they are crisp, about 18 hours (or until you can easily pierce them with a fork).
6. Store your peeled and dehydrated sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks or in a freezer for up to 3 months
Preparing the Potatoes for Peeling
Peeling potatoes can be a hassle, but it’s worth it to get perfectly cooked potatoes every time. To make the job easier, start by cutting the potatoes into even slices. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the potato slices in an even layer.
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the potatoes. Be sure to hold onto the ends of the potato so you don’t cut yourself while peeling.
Once all of the potatoes are peeled, place them in a large bowl and use a masher or fork to mash them up until they’re smooth. You can then season them with salt and pepper, if desired.
Peeling and Cutting the Sweet Potatoes
To keep peeled sweet potatoes fresh, it is best to store them in a cool, dry place.
If you cannot keep them in a cool place, then you can microwave them for about 20 seconds on each side to help keep them crispy.
To cut the sweet potatoes, first peel them. Then use a sharp knife to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Adding Butter or Margarine to the Peeler
If you’re adding butter or margarine to the peeler, it’s important to keep in mind the ratio of oil to butter. Too much butter will result in a greasy texture and too much oil will make the potato slices tough.
Try using just a tablespoon or two of butter or margarine per pound of potatoes, and be sure to spread it evenly over the slices before peeling.
Storage Tips for Fresh Peeled Sweet Potatoes
If storing peeled sweet potatoes in a cool, dry place, they will last for up to four days.
To extend their shelf life even further, wrap each potato in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container.
Sweet potatoes will also keep fresh when stored in the refrigerator if covered with a layer of cold water.
Peeled sweet potatoes can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to four days. After that, they should be eaten fresh.