In 2009 I went to an actual live music concert with Dave and our friend Steve. It had been 4 years since we had been to a concert, and we have not been to one since. I’m not complaining–I am just not in the phase of my life when I go hang out at music concerts. It was awesome, though, Wilco at the Greek. The crowd was super hipster, mellow Berkeley folks. The air was herbaceous. The music was unbelievable. It was a beautiful, chilly night and afterwards we drove home and Steve slept on the couch. It felt very reminiscent of my college days in my 20s.
The next morning Steve requested banana pancakes. Of course in the spirit of the general hippiness of the previous evening, I made them whole wheat and sweetened with honey. They have been a staple in our house ever since, along with the tunes we brought home that night.
|Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes||
- 2 cups flour (half whole wheat)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 TBLS butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBLS vegetable oil
- Cooking Directions
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, buttermilk, honey, vanilla, melted butter and eggs. Mix until just combined.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Drop the batter by the 1/4 cupful into the hot pan. Then add the sliced bananas.
- When the pancakes are golden and bubbly around the edges, flip. Let cook until golden on the other side.
- Eat hot.